Breaking news: Mason Greenwood reacts for the first time after all charges against him were dropped

Manchester United footballer, Mason Greenwood, has said that he feels relieved after the accusations against him of sexual assault and attempted rape were rejected.

Advertisement

××
After the withdrawal of the key witnesses, the case was discontinued and the 21-year-old broke his silence by issuing a statement.

“I am relieved that this matter is now over and I want to thank my family, loved ones and friends for their support. There will be no further comment at this time,” the player said.

(Photo: Getty)
Manchester United also released a statement saying the club has been notified of the Prosecution Service’s decision that all charges against Greenwood have been dropped.

Read also:
Charges dropped against Mason Greenwood, Man Utd striker acquitted
Charges dropped against Mason Greenwood, Man Utd striker acquitted
Advertisement

“The club will now carry out its own process before determining the next steps”, it is said, among other things, in the communique.

It is understood that the striker will not return to the Red Devils until an internal investigation is completed.

(Photo: Getty)
On Thursday afternoon a decision was made by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) to discontinue the prosecution in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors.

Read also:
All news from Mason Greenwood
All news from Mason Greenwood
The player was first arrested in January last year over allegations involving a young woman (labelled as his girlfriend at the time) after images and videos were posted online. He was then suspended by United, removed from the FIFA 22 game, and everyone turned their backs on him, starting from sponsors, teammates and representatives.

Advertisement
“We have a duty to keep the issues under constant review. In this case, a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material coming to light meant that there was no longer a realistic prospect of a conviction. In these circumstances, we have a duty to discontinue the case. We have explained our decision to all parties,” said a CPS spokesperson.